Editor, Global (Temporary Coverage, 1 Oct 2020 to 1 Apr 2021 – Remote)
The Fuller Project is the award-winning global nonprofit newsroom dedicated to objective, groundbreaking reporting on women, to raise awareness, expose injustice and spur accountability.
Our correspondents in the US and around the globe rigorously report on untold stories and the interconnected issues affecting women and their communities everywhere. Our reporting often leads the news cycle and is published in prominent outlets, bringing the full story to a large and diverse audience.
Since 2015, our team has published hundreds of articles — from our TIME Magazine cover story on waitresses in American cities earning $2.13 an hour, to our four-part feature in Marie Claire on forced virginity testing in the US, to our devastating investigation into child sexual exploitation in the Philippines, in The Washington Post. In 2019, our reporting won the Military Reporters & Editors, One World Media and Amnesty International UK Media awards.
The Editor (Global) is a crucial member of The Fuller Project’s editorial team and will report to the Editor in Chief to manage core global coverage around issues that affect women. This person will specifically cover global editing needs while a member of our team is on maternity leave.
The Editor is an experienced editor with experience managing a newsroom who will support a growing team of journalists around the world. Responsibilities include: reviewing and developing pitches, editing stories, developing social media strategy before final review, and maintaining and building editorial partnerships.
The Editor will share our vision of journalism that delivers rigorous need-to-know reporting on the gender dimensions of current global events. We anticipate that the Editor will spend the majority of their time on international coverage but will support key US coverage as needed and work closely with the Editor (US). Areas of immediate interest for coverage include trafficking, and sexual and reproductive health.
The Editor will report to the Editor in Chief and work alongside the Editor (US) to ensure appropriate alignment between US and global stories. The Editor will also collaborate across other functions as needed, such as communications.
The ideal candidate has experience leading and/or managing a fast-paced newsroom, is familiar with the global news cycle, has helped manage journalists of varying experience levels, is deadline-focused, can guide others to meet assignment goals, and has a strong understanding of issues affecting women. This position is a full-time contractor role. It begins Oct. 1 and ends April 1. This position will provide maternity coverage for a staff editor. The position is remote, but candidates must live in/near Central European Time zone or be willing to work hours to cover that time zone.
The Editor will support the Editor in Chief and work closely with the other editorial team members on a range of assignments and editorial activities.
- With direction from the Editor in Chief and in collaboration with the Editor (US), the Editor will identify, plan, and assign coverage of ground-breaking stories
- Guide and edit stories for The Fuller Project’s website as well as partner publications to make reporting clear and compelling
- Oversee multiple assignments from pitch to publication and manage journalists/contributors and ensure they produce high quality work while managing to deadlines
- Maintain editorial/publishing partnerships with partner publications
- Help design ways to break stories faster and across mediums (e.g., social media) while ensuring rigor
- Stay up-to-date with the latest global news and identify how The Fuller Project can provide a unique angle to contribute to the conversation through additional stories, columns, social media, partnership engagement, etc
- Support the Editor in Chief as needed
- Implement and support the Editor in Chief’s newsroom vision
- Map out weekly editorial agenda with Editor (US) & lead editorial calls
- Work closely with reporters to develop their writing and reporting talents, including managing deadlines and balancing multiple assignments
- Field pitches from freelancers and support/guide key freelance reporting, along with core staff reporting
- Ensure safety and standards of freelance and staff reporters in the field
- Understand reporters’ strengths and hold writers to high standards, whether on short- or longer-term assignments
- Assist the Editor in Chief in managing the team, with an eye toward promoting professional growth among journalists
- Manage core editorial budget with Editor (US)
- At least 6 to 9 years’ demonstrated editing and reporting experience on global issues in a newsroom
- Based in or near Central European Time to best support our global team and coordinate our global coverage
- Ability to adapt quickly in a fast-paced newsroom
- Sound news judgment across a range of subjects related to global events
- Experience editing staff reporters and freelance journalists and excellent communication skills
- Ability to work and coordinate with editors and reporters based remotely
- A positive, collaborative attitude, and strong interpersonal and language skills
- Passionate for and demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of The Fuller Project
- Ability to work productively in a non-partisan environment, guided by journalism ethics, and in nonprofit newsroom
This is a remote position, ideally based in or near Central European Time zone although candidates who work elsewhere and are willing to adjust their schedules are invited to apply.
How to apply
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter as part of their application here. Along with the application, please submit links to at least 3 articles you have edited.