The Fuller Project is the award-winning global nonprofit newsroom dedicated to objective, groundbreaking reporting on women, to raise awareness, expose injustice and spur accountability.
Our correspondents in the US and around the globe rigorously report on untold stories and the interconnected issues affecting women and their communities everywhere. Our reporting often leads the news cycle and is published in prominent outlets, bringing the full story to a large and diverse audience.
Since 2015, our team has published hundreds of articles — from our TIME Magazine cover story on waitresses in American cities earning $2.13 an hour, to our four-part feature in Marie Claire on forced virginity testing in the US, to our devastating investigation into child sexual exploitation in the Philippines in The Washington Post. In 2019, our reporting won the Military Reporters & Editors, One World Media and Amnesty International UK Media awards.
The Editor (US) is a crucial member of The Fuller Project’s editorial team and will report to the Editor in Chief to manage core US news coverage around issues that affect women. The Editor will also support global coverage as needed and work alongside the Editor (Global) to carry out the Editor in Chief’s editorial vision.
The Editor is an experienced editor with experience managing a newsroom and will support a growing team of journalists across the country. Responsibilities include: supporting hiring, recruiting, and managing the US team, reviewing and developing pitches, editing stories, developing social media strategy before final review, and maintaining and building editorial partnerships.
The Editor will share our vision of journalism that delivers rigorous need-to-know reporting on the gender dimensions of current US events. We anticipate that the Editor will spend the majority of their time on US coverage but will support key global coverage as needed. Areas of immediate interest for coverage include coronavirus, social justice, voting and elections, but will shift according to the news cycle and our longer term reporting efforts.
The Editor will report to the Editor in Chief and work alongside other members of the editorial management team to ensure appropriate alignment between US and global stories. The Editor will also collaborate across other functions as needed, such as communications.
The ideal candidate has experience leading and/or managing a fast-paced newsroom, is familiar with the US and global news cycle, has helped manage journalists of varying experience levels, is deadline-focused, can guide others to meet assignment goals, and has a strong understanding of issues affecting women. This is a full-time staff role with benefits.
The Editor will support the Editor in Chief and work closely with the Editor (Global) on a range of assignments and editorial activities.
- With direction from the Editor in Chief and in collaboration with the Editor (Global), the Editor will identify, plan, and assign coverage of ground-breaking stories
- Guide and edit stories for The Fuller Project’s website as well as partner publications to make reporting clear and compelling
- Oversee multiple assignments from pitch to publication and manage journalists/contributors and ensure they produce high quality work while managing to deadlines
- Maintain editorial/publishing partnerships with partner publications
- Help design ways to break stories faster and across mediums (e.g., social media) while ensuring rigor
- Stay up-to-date with the latest global news and identify how The Fuller Project can provide a unique angle to contribute to the conversation through additional stories, columns, social media, partnership engagement, etc.
- Support the Editor in Chief as needed
- Implement and support the Editor in Chief’s newsroom vision
- Map out weekly editorial agenda with the Editor (Global) & lead editorial calls
- Work closely with reporters to develop their writing and reporting talents, including managing deadlines and balancing multiple assignments
- Field pitches from freelancers and support/guide key freelance reporting, along with core staff reporting
- Ensure safety and standards of freelance and staff reporters in the field
- Understand reporters’ strengths and hold writers to high standards, whether on short- or longer-term assignments
- Assist the Editor in Chief in recruiting and managing the team, with an eye toward promoting professional growth among journalists
- Manage core editorial budget with the Editor (Global)
- At least 7 to 10 years’ demonstrated editing and reporting experience on US issues in a newsroom
- Ability to adapt quickly in a fast-paced newsroom
- Sound news judgment across a range of subjects related to US events
- Experience editing staff reporters and freelance journalists and excellent communication skills
- Ability to work and coordinate with editors and reporters based remotely
- A positive, collaborative attitude, and strong interpersonal and language skills
- Passionate for and demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of The Fuller Project
- Ability to work productively in a non-partisan environment, guided by journalism ethics, and in nonprofit newsroom
This is a DC-based position, but will be remote until we can safely reopen our office.
Company perks/benefits information
Health benefits, vacation, maternity leave, relocation benefits for qualified candidates outside the DC area
How to apply
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter as part of their application here. Along with the application, please submit links to at least 3 articles you have edited.