Marketing and Communications Manager
The Fuller Project is the award-winning global nonprofit newsroom dedicated to objective, groundbreaking reporting on women, to raise awareness, expose injustice and spur accountability.
Our correspondents in the U.S. and around the globe rigorously report on untold stories and the interconnected issues affecting women and their communities everywhere.
Our reporting often leads the news cycle and is published in prominent outlets, bringing the full story to a large and diverse audience.
Since 2015, our award-winning team has published hundreds of articles — from our TIME Magazine cover story on waitresses in American cities earning $2.13 an hour, to our four-part feature in Marie Claire on forced virginity testing in the U.S., to our devastating investigation into child sexual exploitation in the Philippines in The Washington Post. In 2019, our reporting won the Military Reporters & Editors, One World Media and Amnesty International UK Media awards.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the candidate will support all functions of a growing marketing and communications department, including media relations, marketing campaign development, research, website management, events, and conferences. The mandate of the communications department is to grow awareness around The Fuller Project’s reporting, introduce The Fuller Project to new audiences and communicate the impact of Fuller’s journalism. Note that this is not an editorial (journalism) position.
- Support external communications, including drafting business-focused newsletters, press releases, talking points, backgrounders, and pitch materials
- Draft marketing campaign materials, brochures, invitations, and other official collateral
- Layout and publish news articles on the website’s front page and help maintain supporting web pages
- Help generate coverage for The Fuller Project stories in earned media and on social media
- Keep organized press lists, experience pitching radio and TV is a plus
- Research new markets, regional and international press
- Maintain a list of all published articles and associated social media links
- Source photos and maintain a photo database
- Help maintain a database of impact resulting from published articles
- Help maintain a database of newsletter subscribers
- Work with outside vendors including designers, videographers, and web management firms
- Keep abreast of industry trends
- Provide market research for new initiatives
- Work with digital marketing consultant to develop online marketing campaigns, track and analyze metrics
- Assist digital marketing consultant with monitoring metrics for social accounts and websites; regularly provide recommended adjustments to drive traffic, improve content and increase engagement based on analytics
- Assist CCO with print advertising strategy with an emphasis on market research, data-driven solutions, and metrics
- Monitor competitor landscape and bring fresh ideas and perspective to the table
- Ensure brand integrity across all communications and products
Events and Conferences
- Support the development and implementation of virtual events and panels
- Support the planning, design and production of communications required for events, including promotion and post-event reports
- Oversee video recording at events and execute post-production editing or oversee consultant in doing so
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent education or experience, journalism, communications, or marketing
- 4 to 6 years of public relations or marketing experience, with experience at a firm preferred
- Understanding of digital marketing principles
- Understanding of best practices in building integrated marketing campaigns
- Knowledge of online marketing and advertising, and brand management
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills and the ability to use data to drive decision-making
- Experience working with WordPress, Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, and other online publishing applications
- Design and print or web layout experience preferred
- Ability to take initiative and to collaborate and communicate effectively in a remote team
- Excellent time-management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, be flexible, and work both independently and with a team
- Obsession with detail
- Strong organizational abilities
- Ability to creatively problem solve under pressure and anticipate needs
- Entrepreneurial and innovative thinker
- Experience managing interns or working with contractors and freelancers a plus
This is a DC-based position but will be remote until we can safely reopen our office.
Company perks/benefits information
Health benefits, vacation, maternity leave, relocation benefits for qualified candidates outside the DC area
How to apply
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter as part of their application here.